Saturday, August 30, 2008

An Eskimo in the White House?

Unable to retain much information from my High School years, because let's face it, I knew everything back then. I went a little further back in the memory banks to see if I could dust off some information I may have on Alaska.
Here's what I found:
- Frozen Tundra
- Eskimo's
- Igloo's
- It's really cold, but it's not the North Pole and Santa doesn't live there.

Being a radio talk show junkie I first heard the news of John McCain's Vice Presidential running mate choice on the radio. You have to paint yourself pictures while listening to the radio and I painted an Eskimo. Not an Eskimo in an igloo, a more modern one, but an Eskimo none the less.
As the news of Sarah Palin was presented to the world, I learned she is the Governor of Alaska, married with 5 kids, a beauty pageant contestant, a basketball player, hunts moose and eats them. The more I read, the more I wondered, no one really knew who Sarah Palin was until yesterday. She had a pretty sweet gig going on. Now she has brought the world into hers and her families lives and opened herself up to the biggest media anal exam there is known to man. It isn't going to be pretty. Republicans get a more thorough exam than the Democrats. It will be interesting to see how she holds up. Trust me if she lives in an igloo or has ever been in an igloo, we'll know about it. Oh and she's not an Eskimo.

3 comments:

Rich said...

She is very socially conservative. I think the Republicans hope she can energize the conservative base. I do think that if the Republicans had hoped she could pull some disenfranchised Hillary supporters, they are sadly mistaken. With polar opposite views, I don't think that just because she has a vagina, women will vote for her. If anything that train of thought is quite misogynistic.

Sue said...

misogynistic - hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

Sarah and Hillary are definitely total opposites. And to think level headed voters are going to say, "Oh I'm a Hillary supporter, but since she isn't in the running I'll vote for the other woman that is against everything I stand for and believe in." Yes quite a stretch.
That's the level headed voter. But anyone who pays attention to politics knows not every voter has a clue. Rich there will be voters who will vote for the McCain/Palin ticket because of the vagina factor.

Misogynistic? I don't think so.
But blindly following party lines and not doing your homework before stepping into the voting booth, well I'm calling it apathy.

Anonymous said...

The news on Sarah and her family is already coming out when today she announced that her teenage daughter is pregnant. For my take on that story see http://connectwithyourteens.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah-palin-teenage-daughter-pregnant.html